In early 2010, Intro 35 was passed,which grants horses 5 weeks vacation per year. Stables are becoming more regulated, however the ultimate goal is to ban this industry forever. Intro 86 is a new legislation that plans to phase out New York City's horse carriage industry and replace it with an ecofriendly horseless carriage. This will ultimately not only be best for the horses, but also for the streets of New York. This means less crashes, more money for NYC through these tourist vintage car rides, and much happier lives for horses. Two strong supporters of Intro. 86 are the ASPCA (American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and NYCLASS (New Yorkers for Clean, Livable and Safe Streets).
How you can help
- If you live in New York City, contact your Councilmember and ask him or her to support Intro. 86.
- Click here to submit an email to NYC Council members to support Intro 86
- "Like" NYCLASS on Facebook and spread the news to your friends
- Watch this documentary "Blinders: The Movie" to educate yourself about the cruel horse-carriage industry
- Report horse abuse. If you're a witness to abuse, call 212-876-7700 to report it!